Tuesday, July 12, 2016

cold mountain



Yesterday I re-watched Cold Mountain, I don't think I had seen it in a few years, but I was obsessed with it when it came out in 2003. I remember going to a locally owned CD store about a block away from my house and pre-ordering the soundtrack, then picking it up on my way to art class in college. I couldn't wait for the class to end so I could just listen to the soundtrack all night. It was that horrible in-between time when a movie isn't in theaters anymore, but it's not on DVD yet, so all you have to cling to is the music. The only other movie I can think of where I experienced this level of infatuation was The Man From UNCLE, which came out last year.

It's also one of those movies where I can't quite figure out if it's objectively THAT GOOD, or just has some kind of personal resonance for me that makes me love it to bits. I'm sure Jude Law has something to do with it (I've been a fan of his ever since I saw Cold Mountain) but I don't revisit his other films as often as I come back to this one. It just feels so poetic and gentle, and I always feel kind of misty after watching it.


dress and jacket - asos (old) | shoes - bait footwear
belt - not sure | purple rug - amazon